Followers

Washington Road Trip Day 2

I'm cold. Ok, I admit it...

with that said, I must say, I had the most amazing day today. After figuring out how to get to the Metro station without getting lost we stood in a long line with people from all over the country... Minnesota folk in front of us, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa and North Dakota behind us...

we were excited, giddy... joyful even...

for some, it was about Bush FINALLY being gone... for others, it was about Obama FINALLY taking office...

for me, it was about listening to the words of people who had something to say... and so much was said...

After getting tickets, finding our way to the train and riding into the city, we found ourselves among even more people, simply NEEDING to be there... old, young, citizens and non (there was an African man standing in front of the White House yelling in his native language as his friend videotaped him. When he finished, he bent down, kissed the concrete, stood crying and simply walked away. I was awestruck). There were protestors, celebrators, performance artists, students completing service projects (one was dressed like bush with a prison suit on)

We were all acting like tourists, yet we weren't. We were acting like children in a candy store, yet we weren't. We were/are happy.

I'm tired. I swear I am. I'm so excited I don't know if I'll be able to sleep.

More later...

0 comments: