Followers

People Watching 10.24.08

I drove to Nashville today... its my "ME" weekend, and I'm sitting in a very large bed with a nice flat screen television telling me about the great things to be found in the experience of driving a lincoln and listening to El DeBarge sing about all his love... and well... chillin...All I need is some chablis... where IS that room service menu anyway?

on the drive down, I stopped at a Waffle House just south of Louisville for a bit of breakfast. You know Waffle House...home of breakfast anytime you want it... full of locals and overly friendly waitresses...yeah, that place...

I sat in the last open booth and requested a cup of tea and some hashbrowns and eggs over easy, with a side of sausage ...I watched people for a few minutes... someone way on the other end of the counter was discussing stocks and what his nephew in california was doing now; a little girl was asking why all the men in the place were still wearing their caps and wasn't that rude; two guys outside were repairing the concrete in a few of the parking spaces.

There was a couple sitting in the very next booth. She was facing me...her husband, apparently on his way to, or recently returned from a hunting trip had his back to me. They spoke quietly about things to do today and ordered steak and eggs; her was medium rare, his was rare...

They ate quietly when the food arrived and then asked for doggy bags. He got up and started for the cashier's. I continued to eat as I heard her say...."Michael, you need the ticket don't you?"

I looked up... Michael didn't hear her...he was already at the cashier's booth. She looked at me and shock her head...

"I swear, he's like a 2 year old."
I smiled. I understood completely.
"What ever would they do without us?"
"Die while trying to decide which pair of draws to put on."
I choked on my sausage and laughed out loud. The waitress who returned for the ticket shook her head and said... girl...don't even give them credit for being able to manage that...

We all laughed...

I started to get out the booth and added one more comment...
"mine is home with $50 worth of expensive meat. Pray for him, ok?"

She guffawed and climbed out of her booth and followed me to the cashier.
"Girl... I'll pray he doesn't burn your house down, ok?"
lol


I sat in my car and watched them walk to their truck, he was fussing and complaining about something and she simply said yes dear...

Gotta love our men, don't we?

2 comments:

SjP said...

Gotta love them, that's all gotta love them. Great post!

C.S.Stone said...

lol yanno